If you have a student who is struggling in math, it is likely that they have missed a key concept taught earlier, but this can be remedied, said Liz Peyser, national director for Content and Implementation with Curriculum Associates. Peyser helps K-12 math educators interpret progression in math instruction.
In her edWeb.net webinar, Sharpen Your Focus: Early Mathematics for Success in Algebra, Peyser listed seven math concepts important for students to master, along with the grade level in which they are presented. Each concept builds on the ones previous to it. Peyser also provided presentation slides and a downloadable resource packet.
- Grade K: Decomposition (decomposing a number into two other numbers e.g. 7 into 4 and 3); FREE Decomposing Numbers Math Game – MathAGories from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Grades K-1: Making Ten; Make Ten card game; online Make Ten Card Game
- Grade 1: Make a Ten Strategy; Make Tens Dice Roll Game (Free worksheet) from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Grade 2: Array: Candy Shop Array Game from Education.com
- Grade 3: Distributive Property; Distributive Property of Multiplication free download from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Grade 4: Multi-Digit Multiplication; Computation Practice online
- Grade 5: Fractions; Education.com variety of games including Flipping Pancakes Fractions
- Grade 6: Polynomials: Intro to Polynomials module on Coolmath.com; Polynomials Worksheets and Quizzes on softschools.com; Multiplying Polynomials – Practice Problems